DMV wait times have always been exaggerated: waiting in line for hours and lines even going out the door. Now, with the pandemic, the reality is even more dire. The DMV now has a page for online transactions, with estimated processing times. But, the reality is online transactions are taking even longer.
Read more to learn about these new processing times.
Online Vehicle Registration Portal
The DMV now has an online vehicle registration renewal portal. The portal tells you everything you need to do and everything you need to register your vehicle online. This includes:
- Your license plate number.
- The last five digits of your vehicle identification number (VIN) or hull identification number (HIN) for a vessel/boat.
- A renewal notice confirming your current address.
- Your payment information; credit, debit, or e-check.
This portal is considered a self-service online renewal, but it only applies to certain cases. Exception cases include:
- Your auto insurance company does not electronically report to the DMV
- You need to show proof of insurance (insurance must be submitted by mail or in-person).
- The vehicle’s record or ownership has changed since the renewal notice was sent.
- You have received a demand for a payment letter because of delinquent registration.
- You are renewing a commercial vehicle registered through the International Registration Plan (IRP).
- The vehicle is any of the following:
- Special construction equipment
- Cemetery equipment
- Special mobile equipment
- Logging equipment
- Husbandry equipment
- Cotton or farm trailer equipment
- The vehicle has Year of Manufacturer (YOM) specialty plates.
- The vehicle is a trailer subject to permanent trailer identification (PTI) registration.
- An exempt agency owns the vessel.
These cases are not eligible to register their vehicle through this new portal and must use DMV’s assisted online renewal system instead. As we’ve stated before in our article The Virtual DMV System Is Up But Is It Working, people who have tried this virtual office system have gotten no responses and reported it doesn’t work. The system gives an upload error to those who try uploading, and once the upload is made, there is a 2-4 week wait for the DMV to respond to provide you with feedback.
Does This Portal Work?
Those who can use this online vehicle registration portal might consider themselves lucky. The portal even tells you the estimated processing times, which we’ve never seen from the DMV before. Their motto: skip the line and renew your vehicle registration online. You’d think we’d be jumping for joy.
But the truth is, this online portal is no better than the virtual office. Customers are left not knowing what’s going on because the funds are not immediately applied to their registration, and when they use the site to see what’s going on, they see that the registration is still due. This can cause so many delays and confusion.
The processing times state that DMV kiosks are immediate, but they don’t work for everyone. There are many exceptions to this system. If you do your vehicle registration online, the processing times are supposed to be up to 2 weeks, but as we saw before, the two-week wait is just for them to answer, and then it goes up from there. It can take from 20 to 60 days. If you are able to get a DMV agent on the phone and complete the registration process, it can take up to 2 weeks for the DMV to let you know if everything was correctly processed. The time may vary from weeks to months. People have described phone orders as an epic fail.
Let’s not even talk about mail. With the exaggerated wait times the post office is having, there is no way mail-ins will only take six weeks. The wait time is more like eight weeks (or 60 days) just to know if what you mailed in was correct, and that’s if it wasn’t lost in the mail in either direction.
Exaggerated Wait Times? Sticker Quicker is The Better Alternative
Sticker Quicker is the right alternative to these exaggerated wait times at the DMV. Sticker Quicker was founded on the speed and reliability of our system. We have a commitment to our customer’s happiness, and we make the task of vehicle registration easy and simple.
Our cutting-edge technology can ship your vehicle registration that same day or the next day for orders placed after 3 pm. You can also download the Registration card immediately online until you receive it in the mail and then you are emailed the receipt immediately. You are even provided with a tracking number on the shipment, so you can see the estimated arrival time.
To name a few of our best qualities:
- Receive a FREE instant electronic copy of your registration as soon as you check out.
- A whole department dedicated to customer happiness, here to help you find solutions to your complex registration issues.
- We provide an instant tracking number with guaranteed shipping within 24 hours of your order.
- Simply request a moving permit online and avoid a costly traffic ticket when taking your car in for a smog test or repair.
- Recently moved and need to update your vehicle registration address with the DMV? We can quickly update your registration and provide an instant e-copy in case of a change of address.
- Avoid increasing penalties for forgetting to pay your registration renewal by making a fast payment today.
- Whether your registration was misplaced, damaged, or stolen, we can quickly replace the most important document proving your car’s ownership.
- Our technology works on all devices, from Desktop, laptops, tablets, and mobile phones.
Need more convincing? Leave those exaggerated DMV times behind and rely on Sticker Quicker. We get the job done quickly and easily. Visit stickerquicker.com or call 888-635-0143 to find out about how we can help you with your registration renewal needs.