In today’s update, we are learning about California’s new requirement for real IDs.
According to the California DMV, licenses expiring this month have the opportunity to upgrade to get a real ID. Here are 5 things to keep in mind when planning ahead to get your real ID.
- As of May 2023, The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is requiring American citizens to have a valid passport or another form of federally compliant identification.
- To meet this requirement, you can either use an online service to apply or you can go to your local DMV and start your application today!
- According to the California DMV, a REAL ID will make traveling by plane easier and much safer. However, with the deadline quickly approaching, it is important to start your application sooner than later, as so many Californians are looking to get their REAL IDs.
- More than 13.8 million Californians have REAL IDs as of now, and are increasing each month.
- You can apply for a REAL ID on REALID.dmv.ca.gov by filling out the proper documentation and providing proof of California residency.
Learn more by reading the full update below: